What is a Trade Effluent Discharge Licence?

All FSE’s (Food Service Establishments) are legally required to apply for an annual licence to discharge any trade effluent to the sewer under the Local Government Acts. Trade Effluent is any liquid waste (other than domestic wastewater and storm water) that is discharged from a business premises to the public sewers. For restaurants, hotels, cafes etc this is FOG (fats, oils & grease). You must have a Trade Effluent Licence to discharge trade effluent to the sewer.

Applying for a Discharge Licence can be a lengthy process. Irish Water require the following 6 pieces of information before processing a licence application. If this is something you require help with, please do not hesitate to contact us. Alternatively, if you already have a SLA (Service Level Agreement) with us for your grease trap, you can add this to your existing contract by contacting our sales team on 1890 336633 or email [email protected]

Information to be submitted with the application:

1) Applications must complete sections 1,2,3 and 4 in full. Your unique reference number should be quoted on all related correspondence and documentation. If not, contact Irish Water on 1890 278278.

2) Applicants must enclose payment or confirmation of electronic payment of the Licence Application fee (see below)

3) The Food Business Operator responsible for the food activity must sign and date this form in Section 4. The food business operator may be a sole trader or company and the responsibility for compliance with the conditions of the trade effluent licence rests with this individual/company.

4) Applicants must enclose a site location map (at appropriate scale) showing the location of the premises, public roadways and point of discharge to the public sewer.

5) Applicants must enclose a site layout map (at appropriate scale) showing the locations of all relevant drainage systems in place. This map should also identify storage facilities (for waste oil/cooking oil) on site.

6) Applicants must enclose a copy of Certificate of Incorporation for the food business operator, where applicable.

Note: If the information outlined above is not submitted with the application, the application will be deemed invalid and returned to the applicant.  Your completed application accompanied by all relevant information and payment is to be sent to the following address:

Licence Applications, Irish Water, PO Box 860, South City Delivery Office, Cork City Payment of £380 can be made by cheque or bank draft made payable to Irish Water.